Here are a few of my favorites:
Redeeming Love, by Francine Rivers
This book literally changed my life. A friend told me to read it and (because of the cover and size, I'll admit) I put it on my to-be-read-pile and forgot about it. But eventually I picked it back up and lost myself in the story. It is the most beautiful love story I have ever read. And for that reason I have read it over and over and over again. I know that I will read it many more times in my life. And you should to.
*Disclaimer: The prologue can be slow. Get to Chapter 1 and you won't be able to put it down. And watch out when you get to the 20's. Gut-wrenching.
The Night Circus, by Erin Morgenstern
This book is beautiful. I can't really describe why I loved it so much. Just that it is beautiful, and magical, and mysterious. This is another title that I put off reading for about a year, but when I finally picked it up from the first page I was hooked. I wouldn't say it was a book I couldn't put down, but it was a book I wanted to come back to. I needed to digest it in the in-between times and it made me want to be a better writer.
- Delirium, by Lauren Oliver
- Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld
- The Testing, by Joelle Charbonneau
- Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer
- Harry Potter, by JK Rowling
- Shatter Me, by Tereh Mafi
- Matched, by Allie Condie
- The Clockwork Scarab, by Colleen Gleason
- Pivot Point, by Kasie West
- Thousand Words, by Jennifer Brown
- 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher
- The Selection, by Kiera Cass
- City of Bones, by Cassandra Clare
- Graceling, by Kristin Cashore
- Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins
- Divergent, by Veronica Roth
- Shadow and Bone, by Leigh Bardugo
- Cinder, by Marissa Meyer
As always, if you need a recommendation, stop by the library and ask: "Mrs. Hamby, what should I read?"